BIM Data Management
Hong Kong Smart City Blueprint has laid down clear directive on the adoption of Building Information Modelling (BIM) in supporting the development of Smart Cities. The Development Bureau has also stipulated guidelines for the mandatory BIM uses for certain applications in public works projects with a view to enhancing the overall productivity of the construction industry. In order to further foster BIM adoption in Hong Kong, Lands Department takes up the following three data management services to support BIM-related projects of other Government Bureaus and Departments (B/Ds):-
- Establishing and maintaining a BIM data repository (a data sharing platform) for all BIM data collected from works departments and construction industry;
- Spearheading the development of BIM/GIS integration to support government applications; and
- Collaborating with different B/Ds and Construction Industry Council in enabling the use of BIM technology in compliance checking of electronic building plans.
BIM Data Repository
Lands Department is responsible for establishing and maintaining a BIM data repository for all BIM data from works departments and construction industry by:
- Establishing and maintaining the BIM data repository, a data sharing platform of BIM data in both native and open formats for works departments;
- Collecting timely sharable data from works projects / or private development for sharing amongst works departments and to build up 3D Map;
- Facilitating the BIM standard harmonization amongst works departments and construction industry;
- Collaborating with Government works departments and construction industry on administrative and technical aspects of BIM data sharing.
BIM and GIS Integration
Lands Department is responsible for spearheading the development of BIM/GIS integration to support government applications by:
- Defining the specifications and standards for the integration of BIM and GIS data to support government applications ;
- Providing professional and technical advice on integration of BIM and GIS technologies on the data sharing;
- Developing the adoption of international open standards on BIM and GIS to facilitate data sharing and the development of new government applications.
BIM Support to Building Plan Submission
Lands Department is responsible for collaborating with different Government Departments and Construction Industry Council in enabling the use of BIM technology in compliance checking related to electronic building plan submission in the areas of:
- Developing IT infrastructure and system for electronic building plan processing;
- Establishing BIM data guidelines and software templates for electronic building plan submission in BIM format.